Friday, November 11, 2011

Thankful

My mom with my brother and sister in-law
I know its cliche but as Thanksgiving approaches and we start making plans, I have really been thinking a lot about being thankful.  I think this blog has been as much for me as for anyone else so I want to make a point of sharing the things I appreciate this year.

One of my life verses is Phil. 4:6, Be anxious for nothing but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

I think that the thanksgiving part is the most important part because prayer and supplication can become  something that you just say, going through the motions.  But if you are going through a  difficult time and you are asked to include thanksgiving in your prayer you really have to re-evaluate your thoughts and your heart.  Trials can swallow you up, they can fill you with despair, but the way out of that pit is Thanksgiving.  And then always back to peace, the peace of God, which He supplies when you give up your plan, your control and thank Him that He is sovereign and whatever the circumstance, He knows best and His plans for you are good.

I am at my moms house, my sisters and I come each week, each for 2-3 days and help.  This morning I made pancakes and as I started I realized that the griddle I was using was the same one my mom cooked pancakes for me on when I was a little girl.  So many memories as there were dinosaurs and hearts and mickey mouse pancakes.  So many memories as I sat sometimes with friends, sometimes with my siblings watching as my mom did 5 things at once and never burnt anything.
I didn't get my mom's multitasking cooking abilities.  I burnt the bacon and the pancakes were a little cold but I loved every minute of it.
The things that I learned from my mom were learned by watching.  I am a lot like her in so many ways, and they are things that are so much a part of who I am daily that I value.  The first and most obvious that comes to mind is my love of creating.  It could be sewing, painting or simply redecorating but creating something new is a love that I got from my mom.  I was told early on that I needed to pay attention because she is a creative genius, and I'm so glad I did.
The other thing that I learned from her is not being afraid of failure.  My mom will try anything at the drop of a hat, because she knows that the worst that could happen is failure and that can be remedied.  I love it that I am not afraid to try, I love it that I see things as a challenge and not an excuse...I love it that I am just like my mom that way.

My mom, my sister and I
So today, November 11, 2011, I am thankful that I can be here, at my mom's house with her.  I am thankful that I have a job that I don't work on Fridays, I am thankful that I have a husband that is wonderfully understanding even though he has been on a business trip and I haven't seen him all week.  I am thankful that I have a daughter that loves to come hang out with us as we sit and talk and laugh and today I am most thankful for my mom who is truly a great mom, always trying to find the good and to be positive.   And even more I am thankful that she is a great friend, someone that is easy to talk to but just as easy to sit and watch TV with.    I am thankful that today I get to spend time with my mom, not rushed, not filled with activity or stress, just sweet, special,  full of God's peace, time.



1 comment:

  1. Love you and love Grandma Sandra! You are always in my prayers. I can't wait to hug everyone again!

    ReplyDelete