Sunday, August 12, 2012

A Toast

James and Karla got married.  After a whirlwind summer living knee deep in burlap...its over, just like that.  

I met Karla about 6 years ago when Charles and I started ministering in the high school group.  She had just moved to the Mora's house and was tender and vulnerable.  I immediately adored her for so many reasons but mostly because she was genuine....when Karla is sad you know she's sad, and when she's happy everyone around her is affected.  In fact, she is a person that you can not be around and be unaffected.  
2007 High School Retreat when Karla was a high schooler
2009 England Team
I got to know James well in 2009 during our Missions trip to England.  He was impressive and bold for the Lord yet so super funny and also seemed to have a positive effect on everyone in the group.  When I realized the two of them were getting close there in England, one night I took Karla out to the High Street sitting area to have a talk.  I told her to knock it off:) and that when she remembered England I wanted her to remember falling in love with the Lord, not with James.  Although the "special moments" and silly flirting stopped the "falling" continued, they were both gonners.
Me, Karla and Melissa in England

2012 High School Retreat
Since England they have stood beside us in the high school group bringing their infectious personalities and adding the energy that Charles and I just don't have anymore.  James is a gifted teacher and his commitment is so much appreciated as Charles has to travel for work and knows he can always count on James to cover him.  They love the kids deeply and go out of their way to connect with them.  The bottom line is that the high schoolers love them and trust them and on Friday night it was evident in their willingness to work so hard making the day special.

Team Henry 1/2 Marathon - Feb 2012
I will miss Karla.  I will miss the late night chatting, the endless juicing and smoothies.  I am thrilled to have spent the last year watching her mature and grow.  God is so good.  When He took Karla's mom at 16, He didn't leave her without.  He gave her Jessica, who at such a young age herself rolled up her sleeves and tackled raising Karla with strength and courage.  He gave her Sheila, who is consistent and godly with so much wisdom for the years to come, and He gave her me. During this last year I was thrilled to help her, talk to her, give her opportunities to remember and heal....so that she could leave what was and cleave to her husband.  I like to think I mothered her, however much the Lord used me over the past 6 years, I was blessed and honored for every second of it.

Congratulations James and Karla, I can't wait to see what the Lord does with two of the most impressive young people I've ever met.

We love you.

2 comments:

  1. I love the wedding photos!! What an amazing and godly young couple! How wonderful that you got to be such a special part of their lives!! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! Beautiful photos and such a beautiful story of Jesus!!! LOVE! XO

    ReplyDelete